Employee handbooks are crucial to protect a business from needless lawsuits and assist with smooth business operations. Nevertheless, many employers fail to either implement a handbook or update an existing one. Attached/below are the top five reasons your business should implement or update its handbook.
- A handbook helps the business comply with its legal obligations to provide employees with written notice of certain legal rights.
- A properly implemented anti-harassment and discrimination policy in a handbook demonstrates the business’ commitment to a harassment and discrimination free workplace and assists in providing the business with a defense to civil rights claims.
- A handbook clearly and uniformly communicates the business’ policies and expectations, which promotes consistency in the company’s treatment of employees.
- A handbook provides a single reference to employees for questions.
- A handbook prevents employees from alleging promises or expectations contrary to those set forth in the handbook.